Thursday, 29 March 2012

Goosebumps and Scares

So the lovely and another newbie blogger From Slummy to Yummy Mummy wrote a post today about Fears and what frightens you the most, whether it's the dark or the big bad wolf or everyone's favourite spiders!


My biggest fear is also my phobia. I suffer from Selacaphobia. Never heard of it I hear you say... it means, I am afraid of Sharks!!!






For as long as I can remember I've had a fear of them. One of my earliest memories is from when I was 4 or 5. I was definatly under 6 as we moved to Wales just after my 6th birthday. Somehow I'd seen a little bit of the movie Jaws, maybe it was only a clip of it, maybe just an advert, but enough to realise that Sharks eat people! The following day I had a swimming lesson and because I had just learnt to swim without any help the teacher thought it would be a good idea to have us swim around the diving pool, which was deeper than a regular pool and had a spring board high above me. I remember holding on to the side with all my might as I slowly went around the pool using my hands... terrified that at any moment a shark would come and grab me!!! Then when I was 11, I started Secondary school and after school I would have an hour wait for my train home and being one of only a few children to attend that school from my town and no one else from my year, and too new to have made friends, I decided to go swimming. I was the only one there which didn't bother me at first and I calmly walked to the deep end and dove in. That is when the panic hit and I suddenly had this horrible feeling that I was being chased by a shark and I swam the quickest length I have ever swum in my life, convinced that there was a shark behind me with his mouth wide open ready to gobble me up! I then sat on the side of the pool, too scared to even dangle my feet in the water, until someone else came to swim as well. 






What makes this worse is we live opposite the sea, but I don't like going in the water and sometimes I panic when the kids are in the water. I'm forever scanning the sea, looking for a tell tale triangular fin poking out of the water. When I was younger and I did swim in the sea I was too terrified to open my eyes underwater in case the last thing I saw was a mouth full of serrated teeth just waiting to tear into my delicate flesh! I remember one day when I was swimming in the sea with my brother and his friends and my brother tried to tip me off the innotube I was sitting on. I quickly swam out of his reach and he soon gave up and shouted "Any sharks near by and they'll eat you first with all your splashing!" I froze, terrified, too scared to move in case there was a shark nearby. After a few minutes, realising I was slowly drifting out to sea, I carefully and slowly began to swim back to shore, trying to make as little splashing as I could. 






My other fears are a lot more mundane and ordinary. I don't like spiders, but I will bite down on my fears as I deal with spiders in front of the children as I don't want to pass my fears onto them. Heights seem to bother me a lot more than they used to do, I used to walk happily on a wall by the beach, but when I tried recently I was too scared of falling off and quickly got down. And of course I worry about my children, just like every parent does. I worry about all the bad things that can happen to them and I just want to keep them safe and protected.


Now I tag;
Missing Sleep
Being Mum
To list their fears and phobia's

No comments:

Post a Comment