Friday, 1 June 2012

Keep Britain Breastfeeding Scavenger Hunt

*** THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED ***

I am proud to be taking part of the first Keep Britain Breastfeeding Scavenger Hunt, hosted by Breastfeeding in England from the lovely Karen behind BoobieMilk Nursing Bras and vests.



Each week, I along with some other amazing bloggers, will be sharing our own breastfeeding experiences, tips and knowledge we have learnt from our breastfeeding in an attempt to raise awareness of breastfeeding as well as some fun competitions along the way.

Each week will have a different topics;
Week 1 - Breastfeeding Benefits
Week 2 - Mother to Mother Sharing
Week 3 - Support
Week 4 - Breastfeeding Beyond 1 Month

Breastfeeding is still seen as unnatural and a taboo subject, with many mothers who decide to breastfeed soon giving up due to lack of support and understanding and for those who dare breastfeed in public are considered exhibitionists who are posing topless and if you're someone who wants privacy whilst you nurse your child, you're sent to the toilets which are often dirty and smelly to nurse your child (seriously would you want to eat your dinner in the bathroom? No, then why should a baby?)

Whilst breastfeeding rates have risen slightly in the past 5 years, they still have a long way to go, especially for breastfeeding over a month or longer than a year!

My breastfeeding story begin in March 2003 with the birth of my son, my first-born. I stayed a few extra days in hospital as I worked on establishing breastfeeding and I had been so determined I would breastfeed that at home I didn't have any formula or bottles. "Why would I need it" I decided, "I'm going to breastfeed my baby, just like my mum breastfed me!" Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, our first night home he refused to latch on and nothing I could do would get him to latch, then he would scream in hunger all night, his temper and hunger making it even harder for him to latch and it became a vicious circle and ended up with me rushing out in the morning as soon as the shops opened to buy some formula. Later on that morning my midwife came to visit and she tried to get him to latch on as well but he refused and from that moment on he was bottle-fed. I felt like such a failure that I hadn't been able to breastfeed my son, something that was so natural, and with no support groups or knowing anyone who breastfed I had no one to turn to. I hadn't heard of breastfeeding groups such as the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers (ABM) or the La Leche League (LLL) and with no computer or internet access I couldn't research breastfeeding. (You can read more about his birth story here)

Two years later, in April 2005, my daughter was born and I decided that I would give breastfeeding another go. She was a very difficult delivery (you can read more about her birth story here) and an emergency c-section which resulted in me in the ITU (Intensive Trauma Unit) having a blood transfusion and her in the nursery being given a bottle and crying with a headache. The midwives had offered to bring her to me in the ITU when she wanted feeding, but I was completely out of it and told them to give her a bottle. Things then went from bad to worse as she developed jaundice and an infection and I struggled with the breastfeeding but here the hospital let me down as they didn't offer me any support or allowed me to speak to a breastfeeding supporter or counsellor. Finally, after spending 7hrs with her attached to my breast and then her drinking 2oz of formula  I decided to give up. In fact the midwife I spoke to about my decision was pro-bottle-feeding as she encouraged me to give up saying that the blood transfusion had obviously affected my milk and she wasn't getting enough (something I now know was wrong). When the paediatrician came to see me he wasn't happy I had given up with the breastfeeding, telling me it was the best thing for her, but again I wasn't offered any support or the chance to speak to anyone. By now I had begun to believe I would never breastfeed and that it was because of my large breasts.

In December 2006, I again became a mother to another daughter. This time the birth was textbook, lasting only 3hrs and she came naturally with just gas and air for pain relief. I put her on the breast and she took to breastfeeding like a pro. We had a slight hiccup when my milk came in and my breasts became engorged, but thanks to a very supportive midwife we got through that and she breastfed until she was 32 months old.

Shortly after DD2 weaned, the baby was born in January 2010 and again she took to breastfeeding like a pro. During my pregnancy I had developed Gestational Diabetes, but breastfeeding helped stabilise both of our blood sugars after her birth. She is 29 months old now and shows no signs of wanting to wean.

So now you have read a little bit of my breastfeeding stories and heard about the Breastfeeding Scavenger Hunt I hope you will join in and check out some of the other wonderful bloggers taking part.

Circus Queen - I'm Adele. Circus Queen tells my story as mother, migrant and writer
Fi Peacock -  I'm a new mum, a campaigner, a rabbit owner, a vegan, a wife, an amaretto drinker, a fan of  debates, and a blogger.
The Secret Life of Kate - Hi, I'm Kate.  I'm in my late twenties and live in London/Essex with my husband, baby girl and 2 cats.  I blog about babies, food and anything else on my mind. 
Breastfeeding in England - Wife to Ryan of almost 10 years and Mum to William (2008) and Ellie (2011) learning how to be British again. 
Diary of a First Child - Diary of a First Child is a blog about one mama’s experience of
attached parenthood. Luschka shares what she learns along the way, first with her toddler and now with a newborn too, from the first day nursing in public to tandem nursing a toddler and newborn and everything in between. 
Life Happens So Smile - One Mum who writes, One Dad who drums, Two girls that giggle, some cats, a dog and life.  I'm also told her facebook page can be offensive, so read if you dare (I know I'm going straight there!)
MyMummysPennies -  All about saving Mummies pennies!  I share offers & competitions that will save parents money and blog about my life as a penny pinching mummy who tries to live life as eco-friendly as possible!
Edspire - was started as a diary when my beautiful twins were born 13 weeks premature in July 2010.  Over the last two years it has evolved into a blog about family life, pregnancy and babies. 
A New Addition - I started my blog at 5 weeks pregnant as a diray and things went a bit manic (in a good way).  Just before my baby boy 2 was bron I had the big confidence boost I needed and here we are with anewadditionblog.co.uk
Mummy Is A Gadget Geek - Blogging about baby gadgets, mummy gadgets, breastfeeding and bringing up two kids from a baby wearing, baby le weaning, co-sleeping, trainee breastfeeding counsellor mum-of-two.
Life, Love & Lollipops - My name is Roz.  I am a Midlands based wife, mum of two gorgeous boys (3 & a newborn), friend, sister, serial Facebooker and Tweeter!  Oh, and I kicked cancer.  Twice.  Before I was 30.  This is my story moving on from cancer and getting back to living again.
Mummy Constant -  The little adventure of Noah and the Bump.
Radical Ramblings - a document of my family's journey through attachment parenting, radical unschooling and living an 'alternative' lifestyle.  I blog about breastfeeding, positive discipline, politics, feminism, education and anything else I care to ramble on about.
Breast 4 Babies - I do not have a magic wand that I can wave and every mum can breastfeed with ease, but I have been there, through the milk coming in, the cluster feeding, mastitis, thrush - you name it I have probably been there and bought the t-shirt, so I do understand what you are going through.
Bumps 2 Babies - These are the thoughts and experiences of a first time Mummy in Wales, with reviews of baby products and pregnany products I used when I was expecting. 
Mixed Bag of Allsorts - I'm a breastfeeding Mum to 15 month old Andrew, and pregnant Mum to our second trimester bump.  After struggles with the first six months of breastfeeding Andrew, I got very passionate about sharing our story and trying to help other Mums in similar breastfeeding situations.  I like to write about mum-hood, baking, my faith, craft, and of course pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Dispelling Breastfeeding Myths - Mums not Myths ~ DBM is a personal blog and an online breastfeeding peer support group which helps mums to find their way through a maze of misinformation and discrimination. 
Mama Geek - I am a 20-something breastfeedinf mum to a one year old girl who is a total scamp.  I am still breastfeeding her and have recently completed training to be a breastfeeding buddy.
Smiling Like Sunshine - I blog about natural parenting, playful learning, children's books and whatever takes my fancy.  
Petra - I am a Lactation Consultant and Gestalt Counsellor in private practise and working for Children's Centres.  I live in London and I address in my blog themes I notice in my work. 
Lactivist - A supportive netwrok for anyone who is interested in breastfeeding and it is stuffed full of useful articles and regular competitions. (Lisa also designed the hunt logo!)
MummysLittlePeeps - I am a mummy to two gorgeous little men (16mo and 1mo).  I love shopping, baking, cake decorating and days out with the family.  Paty planning and reading are things I enjoy in my spare time.  I'm also a coeliac and follow a gluten free diet.  
Ponderings of a Doula - I have a dream to reach every mother-to-be, whether via internet or in person, and to share with them that pregnancy, birth and labour are not unnatural and that it is a perfectly normal time in their lives.  Part of my dream is to treat each mother as the unique woman that she is, and to walk with her, beside her, on this wonderful journey of discovery that she is on.  
Diary of the Milkshake Mummy - I am a mum to two very lovely boys Damien and Dennis, and yes I mean as in Devil and Manace.  Damien is two and a half and what people call "active and busy" basically a polite way of saying a bloody nightmare and nonstop mischief maker.  Dennis is six months old and is prone to every germ and bug going, if it is contagious he WILL catch it. 
Twinkle Mummy - A new blogger and Mum to twin boys.  
Life, Love and Living with Boys - I'm (Kate) a Mum of two boys under three with no vocation until I discovered "Babies and Boobies".  A serial breastfeeding support group attendee, I've been going to my local group since October 2009.  The only way I could guarantee I'd never have to stop going was to become a peer supporter!  Now supporting Mums in the community, on the ward and also through Brestfeeding Friendly Chester, I couldn't imagine life without breastfeeding. 
Tea with Felicity - lots of parenting topics including birth, breastfeeding, stress, finances, play ideas, being a vegan mother and rasing a vegan child, and all the funny times along the way!
My Thoughts on Things - A space where I can free my ideas, musings, thoughts and opinions on motherhood, life and God.  I share my passion for women having the right and the knowledge of their own bodies, about breastfeeding and about gentle, godly parenting. 
My Gorgeous Boys - Louise is a full time mum to two small boys aged 5 and 3 and blogs about the adventures they have.  She volunteers at the local Surestart breastfeeding social groupos as a peer supporter and is passionate about ensuring mums have all the information to assist them in breastfeeding successfully and, most importantly, happily!
Where Roots Flourish - The story of us.  The best years of our lives, and all that goes into it.  I'm an excited newlywed, pregnant with our first child.  I think of myself as slightly crafty and frugal, and I hope to share my adventures here. 
Little Scribbles - A blog about all things baby.  I am a new mummy who wants to share a few things as I find out about the joys of motherhood. 
Attachment Mummy - I'm Leta, a just 40-something stay at home mummy to two beautiful daughters, Lara (2) and Sophia (3 months); and three gorgeous fur babies, Yuri and Taya (5), and Misha (3).  I'm married to the lovely Steve and we live on the glorious sunny Sussex coast with a glimpse or two of the sea.  This blog is about our attempts to live happily whilst parenting positively and finding our way bumpily through the miefiled of modern life. 
Smilernpb - This is the random day to day ramblings of a working mum of three, living in the North East of England, United Kingdon.  Welcome to my World - life is never dull! :o)  Happy reading......!   

So now you know all about the Keep Britain Breastfeeding Scavenger Hunt, make sure you click the rafflecopter below to enter the competition and win some great prizes


a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

Post a Comment