Thursday, 6 December 2012

"The Name's Who... Doctor Who!

Yesterday I came home from work to find my 9yr old son sitting at the table at Nanny's house when I went to pick up the baby. Surprised, I asked him why he was home from school already and he told me that whilst they had been rehearsing their school play at the local theatre he'd managed to get his ring finger of his right hand (luckily he's left handed) trapped in the hinge side of a door. 


His finger looked really sore but he seemed ok.

During the night I woke to find a very tearful and upset boy stood beside my bed. Breaking his heart he told me his finger hurt and please would I give him some medicine to make it stop hurting. I took him downstairs and eventually settled him on the sofa to go back to sleep with some painkillers inside him. Then at breakfast time he again became upset telling me his finger was hurting again. 

Managed to make him a doctors appointment and we saw the doctor who said it was unlikely to be broken but would be very sore and was very swollen and he might lose the nail. He also said that had my boy been older he would have drained the fluid from the finger but because of his age he didn't want to and prescribed painkillers, cold compresses and keeping his hand elevated. 

I asked him what he wanted to do, did he want to go back to school and because his class were rehearsing again in the theatre he wanted to go back. 

But by lunchtime the school phoned me to say he was getting upset again because his finger was starting to hurt. I went to pick him up and his teachers were full of praise for him being so brave and still carrying on in his rehearsals despite all the pain he was obviously in. When I told them he had told me he wanted to be an actor when he was older his teacher said she could imagine him as one because he was a very good actor and that whatever they told him to do, he would do perfectly first time! Later we were snuggled on the sofa and he was reading me a book I noticed how he would emphasis words and change his voice for characters, something I used to do for him when he was little.

By the time tea time came, he was crying in agony again and still had 2 hours to go before he could have some more painkillers and he could barely eat he was in that much pain. His dad finally had enough and just like me he couldn't bear to see his son in pain so he decided to take him to our local cottage hospital and their casualty department. Finally he was given something to ease the pain and they drained his finger of all the fluid, hubby even laughed and said it came out with such force it hit the nurse in the face!

Now he's home and seems a lot happier, his finger is bandaged and hopefully he'll get some sleep! I've told him we'll see how it is tomorrow and whether he can go to school!

When I asked him earlier, he told me when he grows up he would really like to play The Doctor in his favourite TV show Doctor Who and I told him anything was possible if he put his mind to it! I also told him how his favourite Doctor, the Tenth Doctor David Tennant, had once said how he would watch Doctor Who himself as a child and would dream of playing the Doctor (ironically his favourite Doctor was Peter Davidson, the 5th Doctor and who is now his father-in-law after he married Georgia Moffet who played the 10th Doctor's daughter!)


2 comments:

Post a Comment