Friday, 12 July 2013

#FridayBabyShower - What no one tells you might happen in labour

When you read a pregnancy book whilst expecting or chat to your friends, there seems to be a taboo, something that no one ever mentions.

Sometimes, when you're in labour, you poo!

There I said it, and I can admit that it happened to me.

A few weeks ago I did a post about things I wish I'd known, and although I was very tempted to write that sometimes you poo in labour and that I knew it for a fact as I had, I chickened out of writing it and wrote how I would've used washable nappies instead of disposable. 

But now, I will proudly stand up and admit... I pooped whilst giving birth!

It happened when I was in labour with my eldest daughter. I was 41wks pregnant and I was trying to push her out. I'd had an epidural so I didn't really have much sensation down there and it took me a while to realise what was happening. I remember asking the midwife if I was pooping and feeling so embarrassed when she confirmed I was. I don't think I did with my others, but I still remember that I did with her. She was also my biggest baby at 10lb 14oz and after trying unsuccessfully to push her out, I had to have an emergency section as she was wedged in my pelvis. 


However the midwife took in her stride and said she was used to it. A surprising amount of women do actually poo when they're in labour! Which when you think about it, it isn't that surprising and it was such a relief to me to realise I wasn't alone!

When you think about it, when you're told to PUSH, they're actually telling you to pretend you're having a poo and trying to push it out. Not to mention that as the baby travels down the birth canal, it squashes your back passage and any poo that is there will be pushed out as well. 

You can see in this picture how the bowel and back passage is squashed

Our bodies are amazing though, and for the most part we will empty our bowels either just before or during early labour, to make it easier to give birth.

But sometimes it happens and the best thing to remember is IT IS COMPLETELY NATURAL!!! 

Please don't worry about it, no one will make a fuss and if you do poo, your midwife will know that it means you're pushing correctly and will just clean it up without a fuss. The worst thing you can do is push wrongly because you're scared in case you poo. It means you end up pushing for a lot longer than they needed to, just because they weren't pushing correctly.


1 comment:

Post a Comment