Friday, 13 September 2013

My Dad the Hoarder

I love my dad dearly, and so does my mum. He's a wonderful dad who is helpful and supportive and always there for you, loves you unconditionally and never judges. But he has one fault... one that drives my mum MAD.

My dad is a HOARDER.

He's not as bad as those hoarders you see on TV, ones where their homes are overflowing with junk and they risk life and limb as they wander around their home, hoping that their pile of junk treasure doesn't collapse on top of them. 

But, my dad doesn't like to part with things.

Years ago, my dad found he was running out of room to store his belongings, which included some of his parents' belongings who died in 1989 and 1990, so he bought himself a big storage container, which we affectionately call "The Doghouse". Inside you will find the spare mast and outboard engine for his yacht which he sold about 20 years ago, as well as some of my granddad's old model making tools!

Seven years ago my parents downsized from a 4 bedroom flat to a 3 bedroom bungalow and my mum tried to make my dad get rid of some of his stuff. However she wasn't able to persuade him to part with everything and he still has "The Doghouse" as they still own the flat (which is where I now live) although I did get him to create some room in there to store all our bikes!



Slowly, my dad has been rebuilding his clutter collection and has filled the garage and the garden shed, as well as the spare bedrooms and attic. He even has a BMW parked on the drive, which hasn't been used in about 5 years! Yet he refuses to get rid of it or scrap it, declaring that someone will want it and restore it as it still runs (he starts the engine at least once a month and drives it up and down the drive). He claims it is a status symbol having a BMW on the drive and he also uses it for storage as well!!! 



If my parents downsize again, or my dad runs out of space to keep his clutter treasures, then I found some storage units online which could store his clutter or even his wreck of a car beloved BMW. 

This would result in one happy mum as she would finally be without it blocking her drive, one happy dad because his BMW would be safe and not crushed and one happy daughter who would have somewhere safe to park the car when I visit, rather than worrying about it rolling down their steep hill or having to get wet as we run from the car to the house!



17 comments:

Post a Comment